The Workers Compensation and Insurance Administrator reports to Senior Counsel Claims Manager and supports administration of the workers compensation and property and casualty insurance programs for the company, including claims reporting and policy renewal for multiple locations and states. The role manages the process from the initial on-the-job injury, claim administration and facilitating return to work. Frequently partners with the injured employees, supervisors, adjusters, the Human Resources Benefits team, and outside counsel to achieve optimal outcomes for all stakeholders.
The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA s Core Values. Those values include:
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicating openly and with integrity
- Embracing opportunities
- Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with insurance brokers to assess, secure and manage all lines of property and casualty insurance coverage for MAA, including gathering data, preparing applications, monitoring and maintaining all corporate insurance policies and bonds (e. g. , D&O, E&O, EPL, Fiduciary, Property, , General Liability, Excess, Builders Risk, Pollution, Cyber). Manages industry relationships with brokers, underwriters, actuaries, and third-party administrators.
- Tracks and monitors insurance schedules and related premiums, loss runs, risk reports, loss trends and statements of value of properties. Gathers and coordinates information for policy renewals.
- Tracks and monitors invoices, proofs of loss and schedules for property claims. Reviews and analyzes policies, verifies billing, calculates payments and processes wire transfers for claim loss funding and insurance-related invoices. Coordinate filing and storage of insurance documentation and provides general support for the risk management team.
- Manages carrier audits and ensures carrier reporting and participation requirements are met.
- Assists with the preparation of first party claim recoveries.
- Coordinates workers compensation claims administration to reduce claim cost and improve outcomes. Guides managers in the Workers Compensation process when their employee is injured at work per company policies and procedures.
- Coordinate post-incident drug screens of injured employees.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for each injured employee for the duration of their Worker s Compensation claim. Act as liaison between injured employee and Workers Compensation adjuster and claims specialist. Follows up with injured employees as needed to ensure claim is progressing properly.
- Contacts medical providers as needed. Forwards all medical invoices received to Worker s Compensation adjuster/claims specialist.
- Provide wage information to Workers Compensation adjuster/claims specialist when requested.
- Tracks and documents lost time of injured employees for HR Benefits team and OSHA reporting. Assists HR Benefits with contacting the Workers Compensation adjuster/claim specialist, as needed.
- Coordinates with the property and HR Benefits when the injured employee has work restrictions to secure light duty work to promote the injured employee s return to work.
- Work with Worker s Compensation carrier and Insurance Broker to ensure the Workers Compensation posting notices and medical panels are updated annually, distributed to properties, and confirm the notices are properly posted at work locations.
- Prepares all required government agency documentation and required programs (OSHA, etc.).
- Maintains and ensures all Workers Compensation and related policies and procedures are up to date.
- Focuses on employee safety and OSHA compliance with logs and reporting.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor s degree and 3-5 years of worker s compensation and/or insurance claims administration experience required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Injury counseling, safety and/or OSHA experience preferred
- Property/casualty insurance analyst experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of workers compensation, risk management and claims management legal concepts
- Knowledge of property, casualty and general liability insurance programs and policies
- Knowledge of medical and occupational health topics and related terminology
- Knowledge of contractual terminology and concepts
- Knowledge of commonly used legal processes, practices and procedures
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills and attention to detail
- Professional and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Customer service orientation
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word)
- Ability to operate independently and collaboratively within a team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and maintain appropriate discretion
MAA recognizes that talented people are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay, comprehensive benefits and outstanding advancement opportunities. We offer a comprehensive benefits package* including, but not limited to, the following:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick Leave, and Holiday Pay
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption Reimbursement
- Apartment Discount
- Opportunities for promotion and internal career advancement
*Eligibility for benefit plans and programs vary based on hours worked and length of employment.
We are committed to providing service excellence and value to those who depend on us at MAA. Our people-first approach has been transforming properties into communities and apartments into homes for over 25 years. As the largest owner-operator of multifamily apartments in the United States we are established leaders in the real estate space bringing tremendous opportunities to those looking to build their careers. We invite you to explore our Brighter View and find your place at MAA!
Drug Free Workplace